Colorado School Social Work Association


In Colorado, school social social workers are licensed by the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) as Special Service Providers (SSP) with a School Social Work endorsement.

Note that one of the requirements is documented evidence of completion of coursework in the areas of school and special education law, including content covering functional behavior assessment and the development of behavior intervention plans.

Another requirement is passage of an ASWB Exam (Master's, Advanced Generalist, or Clinical), although holding an LSW or LCSW is not a requirement for CDE school social work licensure.

CDE provides helpful SSP Application Checklists that are specific for Initial Licensees, both for in-state and out-of-state applicants, and for license renewal. 

Clinical licensure is not required in order to be licensed as a school social worker through CDE, although some districts or employers may require clinical licensure as part of a role- or job-specific prerequisite. 

Many school social workers choose to obtain additional licensure. In Colorado, the Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) issues and oversees licenses for:

  • Licensed Social Workers (LSW), 
  • Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW), and 
  • Social Work Candidates (SWC). 
The Colorado chapter of the National Association of Social Workers ( has created a useful Licensure Process Guide that outlines the steps to obtain the various types of DORA-issued licenses.

An exclusive CSSWA member benefit is access to a Clinical Supervision Directory. If you are a current CSSWA member, Log In to your account to view the directory and learn how to include your contact information if you are a provider of clinical social work supervision in Colorado. 

Official State Association of the 


The Colorado School Social Work Association has filed for 501(c)3 non-profit designation.

201 Columbine St. #6147, Denver, CO 80206

Contact Us

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software